Today, most people prefer this dish with pitted cherries, which makes the clafoutis much easier to eat. Of course you can use different sort of fruits but when other kinds of fruit, such as plums, prunes, apples, cranberries or blackberries are used instead of cherries, the dish is called a "flognarde" (sometimes spelled "flaugnarde").
I want to share this recipe because this cake is so easy and quick to make. Try it, you will love it.
400 gr cherries
125 gr sugar
50 gr butter
75 gr flour
250 ml milk
a few drops vanille extract (and I use coconut extract too)
1. Preheat oven at 190 C (350 F).
2. Beat the eggs and sugar in a big bowl using a mixer.
3. Add the flour slowly and continue to beat the mixture.
4. Add the butter in the mixture and continue to beat.
5. Add the vanilla/coconut extract and a little of nutmeg if wanted
6. Add the milk slowly and continue to beat the mixture for a few more seconds.
6. Take an oven dish ..some people choose for butter, I choose for baking paper.
7. Spread the cherries in the oven dish (make sure the fresh ones are cleaned or they’re drained from the syrup), beat the mixture for 5 more seconds, and then spread that mixture atop the cherries.
9. Bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes until golden
10. Best way it to eat it warm (not hot and not too cold either)… you can also use icing sugar to finish the cake (I never do)